Thursday, May 13, 2010

Recipe geek restaurant review: Cheesesteak Shop and Adamson's French Dip

I'm mostly done with the contents of my freezer, and have started making the rounds of local restaurants that I've been meaning to try.  The first two places, the Cheesesteak Shop and Adamson's French Dip Restaurant, are in the same shopping center.  It's about half a mile from where Missy and I grew up.  We spent a lot of time there, since there was a drug store and a grocery store.  Now's it's restaurant central, with a Popeye's, a pho place, a chinese place, a cheesesteak place, and a French Dip place.
Anyway, two nights ago I wanted to try the French Dip place, but it was closed, so I went to the cheesesteak place and ordered a small chicken cheesesteak for $5.  It was tasty, not quite as good as the premier place, but tasty nonetheless.  The chicken was chopped up in very small bits, philly style, rather than in stir-fry size pieces. There was ample amount of cheese, so it was an ooey gooey delight.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  However, the Yelp reviewers were right. It was not very big.  If you's hungry, order a larger one or get double meat.
Tonight I stopped off at Adamson's French Dip after I went walking.  It's an interesting place. It's located in the middle of the parking lot in a former camera store. It's mostly take-out so there are just a few tables.   It serves beef, chicken and pork cooked in a wood fired oven.  The star item is, of course, the French Dip.  I got hooked on French Dip sandwiches when I was in college.  They're like pizza - even when they're bad they're still good.  But this one was probably the best one I've tried.  The meat was amply marinated and juicy, so the au jus was hardly necessary, but it was nice.  The bread was squishy and yummy.  A sandwich was $7. It had about three times as much meat as my cheesesteak.  The fries were good too.  They tasted like old-school McDonald's fries from my childhood, so they must be cooked in beef lard.  Everything was on the salty side, which was fine by me since I love my meat and potatoes to be salty. 
I'll do some reviews on stuff other than meat/cheese sandwiches in my next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment