Saturday, May 29, 2010

No-shopping experiment, conclusion

The goodbye lunches and dinners have started and I'm done with the no-shopping experiment.  I've packed up many of my kitchen implements, spices/seasonings and small appliances, and taken a lot of the remaining food over to my mom.
I can't believe how much stuff I had left over after four months of not buying anything other than produce and dairy.  I used up all the cuts of meat and soups, but had lots of odds and ends like bacon, cheese, leftover ham, etc.  I ate my way through lots of oatmeal, barley, and quinoa, but still had lots of split peas and lentils.  I used up large quantities of flour, sugar, nuts and butter but lost momentum once I started packing up my kitchen.
So anyway, the take-home messages are that I buy way too much stuff and don't use it up in a timely manner, and that if there is ever a famine, shortage of specific ingredients, or another period of unemployment in my future, I will be all set.  I'm going to try to be better about not buying so much stuff.  Being 150 miles from the nearest Costco and Trader Joe's should help.
In an appropriate bookend to the no-shopping experiment, a Sprouts market is opening up near my CA house the day that the movers get here.  I've heard good things about it, but I'm glad it didn't open up any sooner or I'd have even more stuff left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment