Sunday, August 22, 2010

Chicken Spiedies

When I moved here I noticed a weird murky-looking marinade at the grocery store.  It was called 'spiedie marinade'.  It's avaible in bottles or you can buy pre-marinated meat.  I had no clue what it was.
It turns out it's a regional dish here in central New York.  As with many dishes, there is debate as to who invented it, wth several people taking credit for it.  Anyway, it's a Binghampton thing.  Meat is marinated for a long time and then grilled on skewers.  Once it's cooked, it's served on a roll.  The original spiedies were made from lamb, but are more commonly made from chicken or pork now.  It's also used for venison, which makes sense given all the deer around here.
I bought a bottle of spiedie marinade.  It smells like Italian dressing. I soaked some chicken tenders in it for a few hours. It was pouring, so  I didn't bother with skewers or charcoal, or bread.
The speidies were tasty - salty, tender, and with a slight flavor of garlic.  I could see why they'd be tasty in a sandwich, especially with beer.  Rugrat liked them too.  I don't know what it is with regional Binghampton cuisine though - they are seriously into salt, with the salt potatoes and the spiedies.  I'm glad I didn't serve them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment