Wednesday, November 11, 2009

KGO Cookie Contest/Almond Anise Biscotti

Every year, one of the local radio personalities, Gene Burns of KGO hosts a holiday cookie contest.  People send in their recipes, along the story behind the recipes (if there is one).  Finalists are chosen.  They bring a big batch of their cookies to the competition, which is broadcast live.  There are a lot of good prizes, including meals at fancy restaurants or stays at nice hotels.  My mom, who LOVES KGO,  told me about it every year, but she always did so after the fact.  This year I told her to remind me as soon as they started publicizing it. 
Today she emailed me to remind me that they were accepting recipes.  Fortunately, it was all online so I was able to submit my application quickly.  It cheered me up from the depressing layoff meeting we had with HR this morning.  They will pick 25 finalists.  Each finalist has to bring 100 cookies and can bring one guest.  From the number of cookies, it sounds like the finalists and guest may get to sample their competitors' cookies. That alone is a prize in itself.
There was no question which recipe to submit.  I had to send in THE biscotti recipe. Yep, the almond anise biscotti dipped in chocolate. I've been making biscotti for almost 10 years.  The parent recipe came from the internet, but over the years I've modified it a lot.  I'm not publishing it here just yet, but I will if I win. In the meantime, if you'd like a copy, email me and I'll send it to you.
I also included the story of the biscotti.   It's not grandma's top secret recipe that she carried with her on the boat from France*.  It's pragmatic rather than prosaic.  I wrote that I'm a chemist by day and a baker/food blogger in my abundant spare time, and that I've experimented with this recipe over the years.  I wrote that I always make several batches to give out at Christmas, as well as throughout the year, that people love them, and that they keep well for several weeks if stored in an airtight container.  Not that they usually last that long.  Oh yeah, and that they even better when dipped in chocolate.
I also posted a link to this blog, so if any of the judges are reading this, please please please pick me!!  I'm about to be laid off and need to come help you sample all those cookies at the final!

*There is a French grandma in this story, but it's not my own grandma.  One of my coworkers, who is French, said his grandmother used to make biscotti that tasted a lot like mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment