Monday, April 12, 2010

Matzo ball soup

When I woke up this morning I had no clue that I would be making matzo ball soup today.  However, my mom stopped by with 10 lbs of matzo crackers and I could not refuse a few boxes.  (No, we're not Jewish, but they were clearing them out at Costco and we both like them.)  She told me she used to make matzo ball soup all the time when she lived in Boston.  Thanks to my freezer clearing efforts, I had turkey stock in the freezer and a chicken breast in the fridge, so I decided to give it a try.
I used the recipe over at the Cooking for Engineers website.*  They give a pretty complete description, but here's the short version, and my modifications.

2 qts turkey stock
1 leek, sliced thinly (I only used the white part)
1 chicken breast, cubed
Bring the broth and chunkies to a boil, then simmer.

Meanwhile, combine

2 matzo crackers, ground finely in the blender - measure out 1/2 cup
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs of the broth

Blend together and let it rest for a few minutes. The ground crackers will slowly absorb the moisture. Salt and pepper to taste.  Wet your hands and shape the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and drop them into the simmering broth mixture. Cook for at least 15 minutes.
The balls sank to the bottom at first and then floated back up.  I was pretty hungry so it smelled really good.  The soup was tasty and I'm glad I added the leek.  It added a certain je ne sais quoi. The matzo balls themselves were tasty gut-bombs.  I think I should've actually measured out my matzo meal.  (Two crackers make a slight bit more than 1/2 cup, but I dumped it all in.) Next time I'll be more careful. Nonetheless it was a tasty dinner for a blustery spring day.

No comments:

Post a Comment