Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Yeasted Waffles

In addition to trying to eat through my freezer and pantry, I'm also using my abundant spare time as an excuse to make certain foods that I would never have time to make otherwise. In a future post, I'm going to make croissants and blog about it.  However, I couldn't find the recipe I wanted to use, so I went through my cooking magazines looking for it.  I didn't have any luck, but I ran across a recipe for yeasted waffles that looked intriguing.  I don't really like baking powder or soda, so this sounded good.  It would also be good for people on low sodium diets, since there is a lot of sodium in baking powder and soda, especially in pancake mix.
It's pretty simple.  A yeast batter is prepared and stored in the fridge overnight.  In the morning, you stir it up and make your waffles. The first batch was ok but not great. 

Yeasted Waffles

1 3/4 cups milk
Butter: 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)(official recipe) or 3 tablespoons (second batch)
2 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dried yeast
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Heat milk and butter together until butter is melted and mixture is hot to the touch.  Remove from heat and allow to cool until warm.  Meanwhile, whisk together flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.  Add the cooled milk and butter to the flour mixture.  Beat eggs and vanilla and add to batter.  Mix well.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and store in fridge overnight. In the morning, stir up the batter, heat up the waffle iron andmake the waffles.

The recipe was pretty easy.  In the recipe they said that the waffles were softer and less tasty when they used less butter.  In my case, the first batch of waffles were good but were too greasy and salty from all the butter.  It's pretty unusual for me to think something is too greasy and salty.  I'll make them again but add a lot less butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment