Tuesday, April 6, 2010

No shopping experiment, another update/buttery dinner rolls

I'm still eating up the contents of my larder.  I just haven't been blogging about it since I haven't made anything interesting.  In the last two weeks I've processed a 12 lb turkey, a bag of bagels, a loaf of bread, a bunch of cranberries, some leftover Christmas stollen, lots of flour, some couscous, some arborio rice, and some regular rice. I've made a good dent in the dried fruit, juice, and booze too.  I have actually gotten to the point where I've had to start replacing some of the staples, like butter.
I'm starting to find things that have gone stale, like the rice and couscous.  The stuff from the freezer is mostly fine.  For Easter,my mom cooked a 20 lb ham.  Now you see where I get my hoarding tendencies from!  I decided to make some homemade rolls.

The recipes on the Cuisinart stand mixer booklet have all been pretty tasty, so I just used their recipe.  I modified the recipe slightly to make a wetter dough.  If you have a smaller mixer or you don't want to freeze half the dough, just cut all the ingredients in half.

Buttery dinner rolls
makes 32 large rolls

2 c milk
1 c butter
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup warm water
2 eggs
4 tsp active dry yeast
8-9 cups flour

Heat milk in microwave until almost boiling. Add butter, sugar and salt and allow butter to melt.  Let the mixture cool until it is just warm to the touch.  Meanwhile, combine water, yeast, and a pinch of flour.  Allow the yeast mixture to sit until it gets foamy (5-10 minutes).  Add the butter/milk/sugar mixture and the beaten eggs.  Add about 7 1/2 cups flour and mix with dough hook at low speed for 2 minutes, then start adding the remaining flour a few tablespoons at a time, until the dough ball clings to the hook and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Allow to mix for 4 more minutes, then transfer to a clean, greased bowl.  Place in a warm place and allow to rise until doubled in size (maybe 1 hour or so)  Divide dough in half, and set one portion aside if not needed.  (Freeze for later use)  Divide the remaining dough into 16 balls. Place in greased pan (10" round or 11"x15" glass dish)  Cover with saran wrap and allow rolls to rise until doubled (45-60 min)
Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes.
The dough was very easy to work with.  It's important to add the flour slowly at the end so it doesn't get too dry.  The rolls were very tender and buttery. My mom said they reminded her of croissants.  They went well with the ham, and later with the ham leftovers.  I only took a few home with me, so I made the second batch a few days later. They weren't quite as tender as the first batch, but were still quite good, and it's nice to have the dough on hand for those times when you want fresh baked rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment